Monday, June 27, 2011

Tattoo - The Permanent Mark on your Skin :)


A tattoo is a marking made by inserting indelible ink into the dermis layer of the skin to change the pigment. This is done by the electric tattoo machine these days. It inserts the ink into skin via a single needle or group of needles which is associated to a unit. The unit repeatedly drives the needles in and out of ski, usually 80 to 150 times a second. 

Its always better to go to a safe place to get a tattoo done and a trusted place. Always pre-check the place where you will be going to get the tattoo done so that you don't want any kind of disease and also have a defined design or atleast and idea about what kind of tattoo you want.

A tattoo can be a black one or a colorful one. Once the design is decided the tattoo artist usually stencils on your skin first to check if it’s correct one and once there is go ahead from our end the painful journey of tattooing starts. Scary naa....don’t be. Once the tattoo is done the area is usually wrapped in plastic to stop contamination and blood.

Some artists recommend keeping a new tattoo wrapped for the first twenty-four hours, while others suggest removing temporary bandaging after two hours or less to allow the skin to 'breathe'. Many tattooists advise against allowing too much contact with hot tub or pool water, or soaking in a tub for the first two weeks. This is to prevent the tattoo ink from washing out or fading due to over-hydration and to avoid infection from exposure to bacteria. General consensus for care advises against removing the scab that may form on a new tattoo, and avoiding exposing one's tattoo to the sun for extended periods for at least 3 weeks; both of these can contribute to fading of the image. Furthermore, it is agreed that a new tattoo needs to be kept clean. So they generally recommend an antiseptic to be used everyday.

I wasn't a big fan of anything permanent on my skin called Tattoos. But after being a little skeptical I just got one done in Goa.

Each Tattoo means something to the person getting it done. Each tattoo has a meaning attached to it. I have a tattoo of a Butterfly and 2 stars linked with the starting letter of my name. And it’s a pink colored tattoo on my left  arm.

A Butterfly actually represents a new beginning. A new lease of life. It also means beauty, freedom, happiness and fragility. It also is associated with Soul. The idea that the striking and beautiful butterflies emerge after living as an ugly and lowly caterpillar has lead to a mythical Greek beauty named Psych who had the wings of a butterfly. In fact, the ancient Greek word, Psych means both butterfly and the human soul.

And a star represents quest for divine knowledge and the secrets of life. Each points of the star represents one of the five elements; air, water, earth, fire and spirit.

Trust me a tattoo hurts a lot and only the daring ones can get it done...naaaa....I wouldn’t say that, as I myself went through this. Yes it does pain a lot though.

Infact as described by my better half (my boyfriend then) when he got his first tattoo done, in his words "Its like piercing a hundred needles through your skin or like taking a blade and slashing your skin by one layer". And after this I was like ewwwwwwww.....no ways I will ever get it done. He is a really daring person as he has 2 tattoos and now wants to go for third one. I guess you can call him crazy, I do. He has a Chinese dragon on his right forearm and OM on his left hand. Don’t ask me what the third one is I have no clues and it’s definitely not my name ;)

A Chinese dragon represents a symbol of power and mystery. They say it brings luck, prosperity and power. Well I would vouch for luck....that’s why he is married to me. Just kidding :)

And of course OM means the breath of God.

Another friend has a tattoo which reads strength from one end and courage from the other end. It’s called an Ambigram tattoo.

 And here's my tattoo :)



Well many of my friends and family have asked me and also advised me saying,its a permanent tattoo and when you grow old it will look bad and the only surgical way to remove it is laser. I just told them its a permanent tattoo and it will be till my grave :) Its for keeps and i am not regretting getting it done. May be another one might follow...You never know ;)


1 comment: